JANIS WINEHOUSE INTERVIEW
1. Tell us a bit about you.
Hi I’m Janis Winehouse, I’m 65 years old and I have been living with MS for over 40 years! I am a mother of two wonderful children, my son Alex and my late daughter Amy. I trained and became a dispensing pharmacist; I am retired but I do work for the Amy Winehouse Foundation and the MS Society.
2. How long have you been living with MS?
I had relapsing remitting MS from my late 20s and was finally diagnosed with secondary progressive MS in 2003.
3. You famously once did a skydive for The Amy Winehouse Foundation, set up by you and your family in honour of Amy, and in 2014 did a skydive to complete the celebrations taking place for Amy’s 30th. A once in a lifetime experience, can you please describe what it was like?
Someone asked me would I do a skydive to raise money and awareness for both the Amy Winehouse Foundation and the MS Society, I said ok, next thing I was strapped to a guy and being flung out of an airplane! I’m so glad I did it, but would I repeat it… no! It was an amazing experience though!
4. Do you have any tips on how to look after yourself, for those also living with the condition?
Staying as fit as you can is so important, I exercise every day, yoga, tai chi, walking upstairs and down again it’s helped me considerably, but MS is not the same for everyone so always seek your MS nurse or specialist’s advice on what may be best for you.
5. What’s the biggest misconception people have about MS?
MS is a life changing condition not life ending! You have to adapt your lifestyle to accommodate it yes and it does make for new challenges!
6. You have such a great outlook on life and it’s something I really admire. Do you have a mantra or a motto?
I love life! I try to live as full a life as I possibly can, I can’t run anymore so I walk albeit very slowly!
If you want to learn more about both charities please follow the links here